Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Keloid Scars

I just got inspiration when I saw my toe scar and others that may exist on my body...
I have bad genetic in skin healing process I guess, every time I got injuries on my skin, they will left scars on my skin. I had have tried to take care that injury very careful but still left mark. It looks really bad, and now I have new keloid scar on my toe, and it still growing (It's not that bad like you saw on the net. It’s only a long line but it doesn't have the same flat like normal skin)...looks so horrible. I wish I can remove it...I wish I never had my toe surgery:(

What is keloid exactly? What Causes of keloid scars
http://menshealth.about.com/cs/blackhealth/a/keloid_scar.htm

It is not fully understood why or how keloid scars occur. Keloids occur from such skin injuries as surgical incisions, traumatic wounds, vaccination sites, burns, chickenpox, acne, or even minor scratches. Keloidosis is a term used when multiple or repeated keloids are produced. Skin and/or muscle tension seem to contribute to keloid formation and this is demonstrated by the most common sites of their formation (the upper arm and back). However if that was the full story you would expect that other sites, such as the palm of the hand or the soles of the feet to be just as vulnerable, but this is not the case. Infection at a wound site, repeated trauma to the same area, skin tension or a foreign body in a wound can also be factors.

There does appears to be a genetic component to keloid scarring. It is known that if someone in your family has keloids then you are at increased risk.
Other theories for the causes of keloid scarring include a deficiency or an excess in melanocyte hormone (MSH), decreased percentages of mature collagen and increased soluble collagen, or that very small blood vessels get blocked and the resulting lack of oxygen contribute to keloid formation.

Whilst the lack of a clear cut theory does demonstrate the lack of understanding of the condition, some work is being done to find the cause. Finding out the exact cause will hopefully mean better preventative medicine and more effective treatments in the future, but there are many problems with adequate follow up of people with the condition, lack of a clear cut-off from treatment and just too few studies in general hampering the search for a cure.

Most keloids will flatten and become less noticeable over a period of several years. They may become irritated from rubbing on clothing or other forms of friction. Extensive keloids may become binding, limiting mobility. They may cause cosmetic changes and affect the appearance. Exposure to the sun during the first year of the keloid's formation will cause the keloid to tan darker than surrounding skin. This dark coloration may become permanent.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pooja said...

Hi Eularia

You didn't mention if your keloid scar hurts as well. On the net, most of the people complain of keloids hurting somethign like "all the time" for no known reason. Does urs hurt as much? Or less? Or never at all?

I am sorry if the question sounds intruding and uncaring. It's on the net, so I couldn't help intruding, and trust me when I say, I care.

--- Pooja.

November 07, 2006 3:49 PM  
Blogger Lovely Eula said...

No Pooja, mine it's not hurt...my scar tend to be a keloid, a light one, I can tell it's keloid cause my skin didn't go back to normal way, but it doesn't look so bad too, but it's not as flatten like before, it looks like a worm on my toe and the colour is darker then my skin colour...

November 07, 2006 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home